15 Fun Facts About Jamaica
- The national flag of Jamaica is one of two in the world that have no colors in common with the U.S. flag. Wondering which one is the other? It is Mauritania’s flag.
- In 1962, Jamaica was the first Caribbean country to gain independence from the United Kingdom.
- Jamaica is the largest English-speaking island in the Caribbean.
- The island of Jamaica has one of the highest numbers of churches per capita in the world.
- Jamaica produces Blue Mountain Coffee, a highly sought-after and expensive coffee that is popular across the globe. It is one of the rarest coffees in the world.
- Jamaica is home to over 200 species of exotic orchid, 73 of which are indigenous.
- Jamaican, Kool Herc, is responsible for starting rap and hip-hop music. Google celebrated the 44th Anniversary of the Birth of Hip Hop with a Doodle on their home page on August 11, 2017.
- The “healing waters of Jamaica” are made up of several natural mineral baths and hot springs that are thought to have therapeutic properties.
- Jamaica has one of the highest numbers of rum bars per square mile – a pleasant surprise for many visiting rum connoisseurs.
- Jamaica’s Kingston Harbor is the seventh-largest natural harbor in the world.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western world.
- In 1997, Jamaica made history by becoming the first English-speaking Caribbean country to qualify for the World Cup.
- Over the last few years, Jamaica has consistently been ranked among the top five of the world’s top tourist destinations.
Jamaica Produces the Most Music per Capita
- Bob Marley’s “Legend” is the highest selling reggae record of all time.